Consulting and

Technical Support

Technical and practical advice for everyone.

Technical and practical advice for anyone dealing with complex environmental matters.

Environmental Due Diligence and Farm Regulatory Check

Environmental Due diligence (DD) is a reactive approach to completing a compliance check on a property. Usually done just prior to the property going on the market or by the Vendor once a property sale offer has been accepted. The DD process allows limited time to investigate compliance and potentially correct any compliance issues but is vital for Vendors.

Farm Regulatory Check (FRC) is a proactive approach prepared without time constraints to have clear recommendations of improvements or issues to be resolved. Best done well in advance of any property sale as changes to consents or field testing take time and can then be achieved.

Environmental compliance takes many forms when owning, buying or selling a property. Understanding what the property has or does not have is vital and will affect how you operate. Our DD or RFC processes include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • What is the property’s background?
  • Does the property comply with the latest National, Regional and District regulations?
  • Does it have enough water now, and into the future?
  • Are there sensitive areas on the property that can affect current land use?
  • Are the existing consents on the property compliant, do they have any unusual conditions and are they fit for purpose?

The FRC and DD processes will provide recommendations, technical assistance, advocacy and expert support to attain the desired solutions/outcomes and maintain compliance.


How reliable is your water source now, and with future changes to flow and allocation regimes? How many days water can you get without restriction or partial restriction? How much water storage do you need to meet your irrigation demand? Is there an option for water harvesting? We can help answer these questions.

Environmental Engineering

We provide a broad range of water resource and environmental engineering services that includes:

  • Inspection of water storage ponds and dams
  • Farm dairy effluent system design and management
  • Human effluent system design
  • Design of river protection works and other instream structures
  • Design of stormwater systems
  • Design of wetlands

Advocacy and Expert Support

Being able to have your say in the development of legislation or plans is all part of the process. It is best to be involved and have your say from the outset as plan changes will, in the long term, affect how you will operate your business. We can assist in setting up collectives and catchment groups right through to preparing submissions and hearing evidence.

Planning Support

With planning regulations constantly changing, it is difficult to keep on top of it all. The goal posts are continually changing with new plans and their interpretation, and Irricon can help you understand planning regulations and what it means for you.

Technical expertise

We can prepare and present expert evidence on our specialist technical areas, from resource consent hearings to the Environment Court and beyond. This can either be for the applicant or the council processing the consent.